The Buganda Road Chief Magistrate’s Court has refused to grant bail to Ethiopian national Tigist Ayalew, who is facing charges of fraud involving Shs917 million in a disputed land deal.
On Thursday, Chief Magistrate Ronald Kayizzi ruled that the sureties presented by Ayalew were not sufficient to guarantee her appearance in court if she were released on bail.
“I have considered the gravity of the offense and without going into the legality of the case. Considering that the accused is a non-Ugandan who the state considers as a flight risk, she ought to bring better sureties,” Mr Kayizzi said.
The magistrate further noted that the case involves a large amount of money and none of the sureties had shown they were financially capable of covering the bond should Ayalew fail to return to court.
“The case involves over Shs900 million and none of the sureties presented have demonstrated to court that they have capacity to pay the court bond if the accused person absconded. I do not find the sureties presented substantial and for that reason, I decline to release the accused person on bail,” he ruled.
He advised the accused to reapply for bail at the next adjournment, scheduled for September 10, but only if she can present more credible sureties.
Ayalew was charged earlier this month together with two Ugandan lawyers, Bob Mwanjuzi and Lawrence Kalamu. The three are facing charges of forgery, uttering false documents, conspiracy to commit a felony, and obtaining money by false pretence.
According to prosecution, the charges stem from a forged land lease agreement that was allegedly used to defraud businesswoman Kalpana Abe of Shs917 million. The accused are said to have presented a lease agreement purportedly signed between SEMA Holding Limited and Ephrata Investments Group Limited on April 20, 2023, as proof of a profitable investment.
Between January and August 2023, the trio allegedly obtained money from Ms Abe, claiming it was for an investment supported by a valid 10-year lease, which was later discovered to be fake.
Prosecutors also allege that between 2021 and May 2025, Ayalew illegally engaged in private business while living in Uganda. She is accused of serving as director of Ephrata Investments and operating two Kampala night spots, Hide Out Lounge and Circuit Lounge, without a valid work permit.
All the accused have denied the charges.
Earlier this month, Ayalew and her co-accused applied for bail through their lawyers, but the prosecution, led by Joan Keko, asked for more time to respond. Court then remanded them until August 19.
At that hearing, Ayalew renewed her bail request, but the magistrate has again declined to release her until she brings stronger sureties.
Meanwhile, criminal summons have been issued against another suspect, Sisay Bekure Melkamu, who is still on the run.
The case is set to return to court on September 10.